New Year's Resolutions 2015

I'm not always one for setting resolutions, but this parenthood thing has proven to be quite challenging for me and last year I felt like I needed to make some changes. Last year I resolved to put things in perspective and feel grateful for the good things that I have in my life. I had moments where I was stressed about money until I realized I was stressed about not getting everything I want but actually having more than everything I need. I had moments where I felt like I had a kid who was way more challenging than most until I'd get compliments about him from teachers. I had moments where I felt like a terrible mother - and I still really struggle with this one - but I do love my boys and I give them everything I can. I had moments that stressed me at work but I have a job... and I even like it!  All things considered, I feel like I did a pretty good job upholding my resolution.

And now it's New Year's Eve, I have a beautiful new baby boy, I'm about to go back to work, and I'm thinking about what awaits me in 2015.

For starters, I have baby weight/inches to shed so I'm going to get on the fitness resolution bandwagon. I'm not trying to win any races but I'd love to get back to running. I'm nursing Emmett and the girls are particularly large and sore in the mornings - oh yeah, and I'm really tired.- so morning runs are out which means I have to get my butt back down to the gym at lunch. I've enjoyed not hauling workout gear to work every day, but it's a small price to pay for good health. I got a lot of yoga related gifts for Christmas this year including 12 classes at a local studio, so I'm hopeful I will somehow find the time to take advantage of said classes. If nothing else, I have a decent home practice that I'd really like to continue even after going back to work.

I still worry about being a good mother because I lose my temper frequently, so I'm resolving to find a little inner peace when Graham is really pushing my buttons. I refer to my previous resolution of doing yoga; it's not just about a stronger body, but about finding more patience and tolerance and being kinder to myself and others. Now that I'm stretched even thinner with the addition of a new family member, it's going to be even harder to keep my cool, but that means it's even more important for me to work at being more even keeled. Part and parcel of being a better mother is to put down the technology and give my boys my undivided attention. I don't know why it's so hard because Facebook isn't any more stimulating that playing Duplos, and yet....

I want to be a better wife, which I think is very much related to being a better mother. I need to spend more time with my husband without technology and I need to be more patient with him. Why is it that we are sometimes the worst to the ones we love the most?

And although most of my resolutions involve being more laid back, I also resolve to try to be more efficient in my professional life. While I want to be a team player and empower others to make decisions, I also want to hold my ground because I feel like I'm good at laying foundations and making things more structured and organized. It's a balancing act for sure, one that I've been working on for years. I'm about to transition into a significant leadership role and have some personnel challenges with which I will dealing, so finding this balance between structure and diplomacy will be crucial to my success.

I'm committed to making 2015 a good year for myself and family.

Comments

Popular Posts