Gettin' my run on

There are times when I use frustration and stress to have good runs. There are times when those things work against me, and I wind up swearing and throwing water bottles and crying (and although I try to avoid exposing other people to these meltdowns, sometimes they happen in the presence of amazing friends). After a couple weeks of the latter, I decided to take a break yesterday and to start fresh this morning. I told myself I would wake up early and go for a run when it was still cool. And I told myself I was going to enjoy it - no whining about it being early, or being stiff or being hungry, and no telling myself that I hate running in the morning. I didn't get up QUITE as early as planned, so I had no reason to be annoyed at the time. I tied up my shoes, popped in my earbuds, turned on the iPod, and told myself I couldn't quit until I had run a minimum of 45 minutes. I let myself be ok with running slow, with stopping a couple times for sips of water, but otherwise needed to keep plugging along. The result was a lovely run in the quiet of a Saturday morning. My legs were tired but my breathing was consistent, and most important, I felt confident and calm. 62 minutes and 5.8 miles later, I made it home. I felt happy and reassured and unafraid; ready for big hills and small valleys, peaks and plateaus.

Comments

  1. You are awesome. In so many ways. Hooray for great runs, great attitudes, and excellent kickoffs to long weekends!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts