Thanksgiving Feast

On Thursday we hosted Thanksgiving at our house.  It was a small affair, just Jeff, me, Graham, Marsha, Harold and Erin (and Cooper and Maude).  I made the main meal and Erin came with an assortment of cheeses and crackers, plus a salad for dinner.  So here's what we had (sadly I did not take pictures):

  • Turkey (which roasted faster than usual and wasn't QUITE as moist as I would have liked)
  • Mashed Potatoes (and Parsnips) with Roasted Garlic (I added the parsnips and used skim milk instead of half and half)

And for dessert:
  • Chocolate Peppermint truffles (which turned out weirdly oily and the sugar coating dissolved on the outside....I think it had something to do with the peppermint extract because I've made these before without the mint and they were fine)

We had quite a bit of leftovers - especially turkey, so I tried to get creative with our leftovers meals:
  • Turkey Sandwiches (If I could have thanksgiving sandwiches on a regular basis, I would be a happy camper.  Slather some gravy and cranberry relish on the bread and start stacking the turkey and everything else from your feast, plus some good cheese and you pretty much have perfection between 2 slices of bread)
  • Turkey Noodle Soup (I even made enough to freeze some for yet another meal)
  • Turkey Enchiladas (which turned out almost exactly as planned.  Chop up turkey, cilantro, onions, jalepeno and mix together with some plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.  Wrap in tortillas.  Put in baking pan.  Pour over a jar of green salsa.  Top with cheddar cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes).
  • Turkey, Cabbage and Apple Hash over Mashed Potato Pancakes (The hash was delightful.  I do this with chicken sausage a lot. Saute shredded cabbage, apple and onions briefly, add a couple tablespoons apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and some water and braise until soft and water evaporated.  Add meat.  The potato pancakes I have yet to master.  Maybe I need more flour?  I feel like I have enough egg.  Whatever it is, they don't stick together enough and fall apart when I try to flip them.  Suggestions?)
 

Comments

Popular Posts