Positive for Strep B

So I hit my first pregnancy road bump: positive Strep B test.  Apparently, about a 1/3 of women at any given time can carry the bacteria for Strep B in their vagina.  It's basically harmless for women, but if left untreated during labor, it can be passed to baby, which can be very harmful (and potentially life threatening).  Now that doctors know about this, they check for Strep B at 36 weeks and if positive, they administer IV antibiotics to the mom during her labor.

I'm disappointed for sure, but I know there is nothing I could have done to have prevented this.  I'm also disappointed to have to have an IV.  It won't be a constant drip, but still.  What I neglected to ask the doctor is if this means I have to come to the hospital sooner once I go into labor.  I was really hoping to stay home as long as possible - both for my own comfort and to avoid other medical intervention (the earlier one goes to the hospital, the more likely to have unwanted medical intervention), but this might change things.  Obviously I want what is best for the baby, so I will do what I have to do.  But it's a bit of a bummer.

Comments

Popular Posts