Dinners: week of December 29th

I'm kind of in a food rut, and so my dinners this week are reminiscent of many of the meals I make on a regular basis.  Anyone have any suggestions for very quick, easy and healthy meals?  I have approximately 20 minutes when I get home to get food on the table, and that 20 minutes usually involves a hungry, cranky toddler, so really, it needs to be quick.  Weekends are different - I can make something more complicated on weekends.

I'm making a few changes to my original game plan.  This stomach virus has me rethinking a few things (that, and I forgot to buy a couple ingredients):
  • BBQ chicken sandwiches with sweet potato chips (made with my new mandolin slicer that Jeff got me for Christmas)
  • Swiss Chard pizza
  • Spaghetti with Swiss Chard and lemon
  • Minestrone Soup
  • Turkey Tacos  Mini Turkey Meatloafs and some sort of veggie on the side - maybe roasted carrots?
  • Leftover BBQ chicken sandwiches and Caesar Salad
  • Fried Rice
  • Black Bean Quesadillas  breakfast burritos....for dinner

Comments

  1. I think you already know all of my making quick dinner tips, but here are my go-to strategies:
    -- Make at least one crockpot meal a week
    -- Keep frozen veggies on hand (the kind that you can steam in-bag in the microwave w/o sauce). In a pinch it's easy to saute/grill a meat and zap some veggies on the side
    -- Keep some of the Uncle Ben's 90 second microwave rice in the pantry
    -- Make a roast or bake a whole chicken the night before, so it just needs to be re-heated after work
    -- One of my go-to evening meals is to saute diced pork, and then simmer in Patak's Tikka Masala sauce with a bag of frozen diced veggies added when the sauce is added. Serve over the Uncle Ben's rice. You could be less packaged about this if you pre-cooked the rice the night before and pre-chopped veggies, which I know you do.
    -- In a pinch I will get the Tyson's pre-cooked, pre-cut chicken and serve it over a bag of spinach, with bagged shredded carrots and plum tomatoes(again you could cook and slice the chicken and cut veggies ahead of time)
    -- I often make fajitas. Especially if you pre-slice the meat and veggies it goes really quickly. I get packaged fajita spices, but I'm sure you could easily create a combo of your own spices. Whole wheat tortillas, salsa, easy on the cheese and you're good to go. The following night if we have leftovers, I'll turn them into quesadillas
    -- Diced meat or ground turkey, a bag of frozen mixed veggies, pasta sauce, whole wheat noodles
    -- chicken breasts or thighs, top with plain yogurt, salsa and shredded cheese, bake at 350 for 45 mins (I will often make this on my reading day as it is quick to assemble but requires longer cooking time)

    ReplyDelete
  2. -- Oh, we also like the Zatarains Jambalaya or Dirty Rice mixes, usually we will use spicy chicken sausage as our meat of choice

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts