Rainbow of Produce

I've known for some time that certain colors are associated with certain nutrients when it comes to fruits and veggies.  Apparently nature isn't just random!  I recently came across this chart that lays it all out. See if you can spot the trend.

Color
Phytonutrients
Health Benefits
Food Sources
Red
Lycopene
Anthocyanin
Prevents certain cancers.  Strengthens collagen proteins.
strawberries, tomatoes, watermelon, cherries
Orange
Beta-Carotene
Liminoids
Protects against bronchitis, asthma, cataracts, and lung cancer.  Can decrease cholesterol levels. carrots, squash, melons
Yellow
Liminoids
Beta-carotene
Zeaxanthin
Protects vision.  Prevents colon and breast cancers. yellow peppers, corn
Green
Lutein
Saponins
Glucosinolates
Protects eyesight.  Heart and skin maintenance.  Prevents cancer. Lowers lipid levels.
spinach, collard greens, broccoli, tomatillos
Blue Anthocyanin Prevents colon, cervical and prostate cancers. blueberries, grapes, plums
Purple Anthocyanin Prevents cancer.  Anti-inflammatory.  grapes, raspberries, blackberries, eggplant

Fruits and vegetables protect against cancer!  Now more than ever I'm determined to get more fruits and vegetables into mine and my family's diet.  I know first hand that vegetables are an acquired taste, and I'm open to suggestions on more ways to get little ones to eat these important food stuffs.  

In closing, I'm grateful for farmer's markets in the summer.  I'm grateful that we live in a country/state/city that can bring fresh produce from other parts of the world/country to our winter-y climate.  I'm grateful that I have the means to buy healthy foods.  

Comments

Popular Posts